Monday, January 17, 2011

The Importance of Living

Eventually there comes a day in everyones life where we look back on what we've done, where we've been and whose lives we touched. It's the inevitable moment of change not only in our lives but in our hearts and mind sets as well. My moment of change came after I was forced into loosing someone who should not have been lost. She was a sweet beautiful woman who was barely starting her family and life. She was too young to go and left behind a precious gift of a little girl. This little girl was only three months old. She will never know her mother. Never hear her voice.

That moment and realization hit me harder than I expected. It made me really look at myself and gave me a renewed sense of life. I began to think about what I had accomplished. What I still wanted to do. So I made a list. I made a 'Life List' as I like to call it. This list was designed to keep my life full of new and exciting adventures. To keep me living life to the fullest. How many of us are really living? We go through the motions of life but aren't living it. Too bogged down by the day to day stuff to realize that while we have to do those things they aren't the important meaningful things we want or need to do.

I highly recommend that everyone make a list. Include anything and everything you've ever wanted to try or do. Then write a second list of things you have to do in order to accomplish those written on the first list. And so on. You should include things from different categories in life. For example, my list includes health goals, travels, charity and quality time with friends and family to name a few. Cross off the goals you've achieved and continue adding new ones.

You'll probably be surprised at just how much more fun you find yourself having. Get your friends and family involved too. You may find you have more in common than you previously thought and you can accomplish your goals together.

Along this journey I also found myself tackling my own mortality. I have three beautiful young children. That gave me another perspective to include in my list. Things I want to accomplish for them. To prepare for their futures. Things like letters to them from their mommy, a will, portraits, etc.

This list has helped to shape my life. To guide me in my day to day decisions. And to prepare me for things to come. I hope that you live your life to its fullest! Good luck and God Bless.

You can check out my list here: My 'Life List'

1 comment:

  1. I need to look into the idea of the life list. I need to write that children's book I've always dreamed of writing. In the process of taking care of everyone else I have somewhat lost myself.

    ReplyDelete